Software Advice is an innovative demand generation service for the software industry. We're looking for an experienced software engineer with a strong technical background, able to work on fast-paced projects primarily using the LAMP stack.
We're looking for someone who:
- Has been there and done that. You've got at least 5 years of experience in software development, including at least 2 years of PHP/MySQL/jquery development.
- Is organized and detailed-oriented. You think ahead of time about how best to implement new features, and your code is clean, well-organized and properly documented.
- Is a team player. You get along well with your colleagues and are always ready to help get things done. You enjoy working on projects with multiple people and share knowledge.
- Is very smart and likes to learn. You thrive on complex technical challenges and are always eager to learn the latest technologies.
What you'll do all day:
- Code. You'll be in charge of adding new functionality to our codebase, and will have to figure out the best way to do it, using our best practices and processes.
- Write unit tests and test your code. We don't like bugs, and neither should you. We need your code to be reliable and reusable years from now.
- Participate in the whole lifecycle on the project. You'll get involved from start to finish and will be expected to communicate project status on a daily basis to your scrum team.
- Learn new technologies. We're always trying new things and you should be too. You'll be expected to keep getting better and learn new technical skills.
You'll be measured on:
- The quality of your code. We have high quality standards and we want to keep it that way. Your code will have to be structured well and be as bug-free as possible.
- Speed. We are always very busy, so to keep up you'll need to be productive, proactive and get products completed quickly.
- Proactivity. You've got a great ideas to make our product better and you speak up and share it with the team. We can recognize a good idea when we see one.
- Your ability to work with others. We are all working towards the same goals and we want people that will get along well with the rest of the team.
A few reasons why you might hate it:
- You don't want to get your hands dirty. This is a hands-on coding role, not a management or customer facing position.
- You like a slow pace of development and testing. We have a startup mentality and take pride on getting things done quickly. They'll always be plenty of deadline-driven projects on your plate.
- You want to have very detailed assignments. You'll have to make judgment calls and be a smart decision maker, rather than a passive player waiting for the next assignment.
And a few reasons why you might love it:
- You'll own the role. You'll have a lot of autonomy and resources to do great things, and the Engineering manager will have your back.
- The team is amazing. You'll work with people who are as energetic, smart, and driven as you are. You'll be managed by the best too.
- You'll learn cutting-edge technologies. We are always striving to use the best tools for the job and try new things. We're early adopters, just like you.
- Your success will be recognized and appreciated. You'll be able to see your direct impact on our growth as our performance improves.